GEER 2, CRRSA, Gap Tuition Assistance and Short-term Training
On April 15, 2021, Governor Reynolds announced that she will distribute nearly $2.9 million (25%) of Iowa’s discretionary GEER II funds for competitive grants to expand the Gap tuition assistance program which targets education and training for in-demand careers. The details and requirements to apply for grant funds are provided in the sections that follow.
This is a one-time application for funds from the GEER II fund created by the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSA). The purpose of this grant is to support community college efforts in expanding programming to help more Iowans earn short-term credentials needed for in-demand careers. All Iowa community colleges are eligible to apply. Awards will be based on the number of applications received and may be subject to modification.
Funds from this program can be spent to cover expenses between June 1, 2021 and June 30, 2023 on a reimbursement basis. Institutional applications that are approved will receive further instruction on how to submit for reimbursement through the Iowa Grants system.
Eligible institution: All Iowa community colleges are eligible to apply. Awards will be based on the number of applications received and may be subject to modification. One submission per college.
- Tuition for Gap Tuition Assistance eligible programs or credit short-term programs which are not Pell eligible.
- Direct training costs
- Required books and equipment
- Fees including but not limited to fees for industry testing services and background check testing services.
- Personal support appropriate for short-term programs - excluding staff
College administrative fees (ten to twenty percent of total grant dollars, depending on institution size):
- Providing direct staff support services including but not limited to marketing, outreach, application, interview, and assessment processes
- Instructor salaries
- Upgraded/new program-specific equipment
- Personal protective equipment necessary for the program
- Temporary leasing of spaces for instruction
College administrative eligible expenditures for GEER II Gap Tuition Assistance expansion purposes shall be limited to twenty percent (20%) of any allocation of money to the two smallest community colleges, ten percent (10%) of any allocation of money to the two largest community colleges, and fifteen percent (15%) of any allocation of money to the remaining eleven community colleges.
Contacts for GEER 2, CRRSA, Gap Tuition Assistance and Short-term Training:
Paula Nissen 515-418-8273
Mike Williams 515-725-2005