Notice of Funding Opportunity
State Agency Name: Iowa Workforce Development
Funding Opportunity Title: Quality Pre-Apprenticeship Program Expansion
- Deadline: Applications for the first round of funds are due by Friday April 9, 2021 by 4:30PM Central Time.
- Application Notification of Award: Tentative notice of award scheduled for Friday April 16, 2021.
- Possible additional funds may be awarded during the period of performance to awardees when additional funding is available.
- Announccement: IWD has revised the Notice of Funding Opportunity and Application Guidance documents to remove any comments concerning matched funds. There is no requirement for matched funding for this opportunity.
The purpose of the funds is to expand Quality Pre-Apprenticeship programs. Programs interested in applying for these funds need to meet the following requirement: 10% of their Quality Pre-Apprentices are hired in a Registered Apprenticeship (RA)program at the end of the
period of performance. Funding for this project will be directed toward costs for the following activities:
- Staff time associated with expansion of Quality Pre-Apprenticeship programs. Personnel and fringe benefit costs combined may not exceed 10% of total grant funds.
- Creation of curriculum included in the Quality Pre-Apprenticeship program.
- Supportive services
The purpose of this Notice of Funding Opportunity is to solicit applications that will enable Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) to award grant funding to support the expansion of RA in Iowa.
IWD seeks to prioritize the investment of resources in the Quality Pre-Apprenticeship programs that are focused on apprentices in one or more of the following areas:
- Industries Affected by COVID-19
- Underrepresented populations from one or more of the following categories:
- Individuals with Disabilities
All applications must include performance measures that logically connect a project’s goal(s) with proposed activities and demonstrate an overall theory of change. Examples include:
- Number of pre-apprentices enrolled in the program
- Enrolled pre-apprentices prioritize areas of healthcare, agriculture, industries affected by COVID-19 and/or underrepresented populations.
- Estimated Available Funds: $20,400
- Estimated Award Amount: IWD anticipates awarding grants up to $20,400. Grant awards may vary in amount as determined by the scope of the project. Funding decisions are made as funding is available and IWD is not obligated to provide the maximum grant amount requested.
- Project and Award Period: The period of performance for this award is two year. Applicants should plan for a 24-month budget period. IWD estimates the following project dates:
- Start Date: May 1, 2021
- End Date: June 30, 2023
- Dates are tentative and are subject to change. Final dates will be determined during the award process.
Type of Award
IWD may award cost reimbursement grants to successful applicants.
Use of Funds
Examples of allowable use of funds include:
- Staff time associated with expansion of Quality Pre-Apprenticeship programs. Personnel and fringe costs combined may not exceed 10% of total grant funds.
- Creation of curriculum included in the Quality Pre-Apprenticeship program
- Supportive services
Cost Sharing or Matching
There is no match or cost sharing requirement for this grant.
Successful applicants will be required to submit reports to document the progress of the
program and financial status of the grant. Templates for the following requirements and
additional details will be provided upon award. Examples include but are not limited to the
- Quarterly Narrative Report detailing information about enrolled participants, expenditures, program challenges and successes.
- Participant data compiled in IWD’s data management system and updated throughout the grant’s period of performance.
- Financial expenditures must be reported to IWD on a quarterly basis through an approved template.
The executed grant agreement will specify conditions for payment and payment schedule.
Eligible applicants are any organization, school, non-profit organization, or business that would like to create a Quality Pre-Apprenticeship program in compliance with a RA program. Grantees must comply with all applicable provisions of state and federal laws pertaining to
nondiscrimination, sexual harassment, and equal employment opportunity.
- Additional consideration will be given to applicants that demonstrate they will recruit participants from underrepresented populations mentioned in the Funding Priorities section.
- Additional consideration will be given to healthcare, agriculture and industries affected by COVID-19.
Download all resources found in the attachment section in this funding opportunity and review prior to submitting an application. For additional support including technical assistance, reach out to Allison.Hanrahan@iwd.iowa.gov.